Frontier BBQ of Lake City: Western Flavor in North Western Michigan


Frontier BBQ is another one of my favorite joints when I am up near Cadillac. A small food trailer permanently parked on a lot in Lake City, this small business with open air seating under a lean-to is one of my favorite casual venues. Their location is on the main strip and right across the street is Lake Missaukee. During the warm summer days, the overhang keeps the sun away and the breeze off the lake cools you down. During the summer, this town of 2,500 comes alive with tourists visiting the city.

Visiting Frontier is about two things—the timing and their specialty. They are only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Also, you need to get there by lunch to get their specialty before they run out. I have only tried one item and I like it so much that I don't dare to try anything else. They serve up the Texas Tater. It is one of the largest baked potatoes that I have ever seen fully loaded with cheese, sour cream, green onions, and topped with brisket. For $9, it's perfect for any meat-and-potatoes lover. I like to throw on a bunch of their BBQ sauce, watch the glistening lake, and take it easy watching the fellow tourists passing. There is no parking lot so grab a spot on the street when you can. Plan to visit Lake City some Saturday for a day-trip. Hit the nearby swimming beach, stroll leisurely around town, and get some BBQ.

 


Comments